The Spice Rack

The Spice Rack
Spices

Friday, November 23, 2012

This Year

I meant to cross-post this from Facebook on Thanksgiving.

 

This Year

This year has been a roller coaster ride.
Thanksgiving is usually such an easy time
to reflect on all the Blessings in
my life, but this year has been so hard.
Maybe though, it is in my losses that I have seen
just how much I really have.

I have my life. I walked away from an accident
which easily could have killed me.



I watched as my livelihood and my stuff burned.
I watched safely from the road, because a passerby
stopped his vehicle, ran down a long hill,
and pulled me over a barbed wire fence
as my truck exploded. I watched. From the front seat
of a complete stranger's car. I watched.
I watched my tractor-trailer and the surrounding field
burn. I breathed air choked with smoke.
But I breathed.

So my first thanks are to a merciful God,
who apparently thinks I have more to do here.
He brought my truck upright so I could escape,
then put that stranger in the right place.

Which brings me to That Stranger.
Wherever he is tonight, I hope God
Blesses him tonight.
And Always.

I am grateful that when my company left me sitting
in an Emergency Room, I had kind nursing staff
who did their very best for me.

I am very, very grateful for my family.

For Andy- who never gives up on me.
He was willing to drive all night to get me home.
And when I did get home he was there waiting for
me. With open arms.

For Sandee, who went above and beyond to get me home.
Making phone calls, including arranging a flight home.
She tangled with TSA bureaucracy to get information.
She coordinated efforts for getting me alternate
identification, and arranged for a friend to pick me up,
and give me a safe place to sleep before getting me on a plane home.
I am so thankful that you are my sister, and friend.

For that Friend-- Alysia. I will be forever grateful for the safe haven
and overwhelming peace that was your home. In those hours
right after my accident I was dazed and in shock. Thanks so much
for your kindness and hospitality.

For Laura, who reached out to friends
with the news of my accident,and gave me a flood
of well wishes to come home to.
Your heart is so sweet. I am truly grateful
to have you for a sister and a friend.

I can never be grateful enough for the parents
with whom God blessed me.
They have been supportive, and as helpful as
they are able. I felt swamped with love when I got home
and while I might not have seemed glad, I truly was.

For all the friends who left messages of love and support on
Facebook- either on my wall or someone else's
I am grateful. Those messages lifted me up, and got me through
some incredibly dark hours. Thanks so much.

I'm unemployed. But I am so grateful to have the support I
do. I'm thankful that my injuries (thankfully minor) will heal,
and the nightmares will stop someday.

Be blessed, All.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
You are loved.


No comments:

Post a Comment